Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Alex Cox: seven things I learned about crowdfunding movies | Film | The Guardian

The director is seeking support for Tombstone Rashomon, a Kurosawa-style retelling of the Wild West gunfight at the OK Corral. He reveals how past experience shaped his approach to this ambitious project – and what’s in it for investors.
Alex Cox: crowdfunding the western Tombstone Rashomon. Photograph: Geoffrey Swaine/Rex Shutterstock
A couple of years ago, while I was teaching a course in film production at the University of Colorado, I thought it might be fun to try and make a feature with my students, based on Harry Harrison’s classic science fiction antiwar novel, Bill the Galactic Hero. For funds, we turned to crowdsourcing and – much to my surprise – raised $114,000.

Crowdfunding enabled us to make a piece that was simultaneously the cheapest deep-space intergalactic war movie ever, and the most lavish of student films. I was the principal director, screenwriter and production bookkeeper. Undergraduates did everything else: shot it, designed it, acted in it, edited it, composed the music and created the visual effects. Iggy Pop came in at the end and wrote the theme song: he and I were the only “professionals” involved.

Past OurEx Live Posts